Thursday, April 11, 2013

Behind the scenes


So last night when I said I was done for the evening I lied. My little fell asleep so I messed around with some eggless cookie dough and made a cookie dough pop! Mmm, they're so delicious! I know everyone wants the recipe so (here) it is.. only i tweaked it to my liking ;) I 1/4th the recipe so I only made about 10. I already have about 45 to make this weekend! 


Little man had carrots today, and some how managed to get it on the bottom of his foot. . He knocked the spoon out of my hand and got carrot to the eye. We had fun, until it was time to wipe his little face off. I guess you could say we enjoy playing with our food in this house.



I got a request to show how I make my cake pops. Although I'm not making pops today, I am starting my Autism Awareness balls. Same thing, only it's not on a stick. Before you make cake pops/cake balls for the first time you should read my tips (here)..

First, obviously is cake. You've got to bake it. I am only baking 12 cupcakes because my orders are chocolate and vanilla. Recipe for 12 cupcakes (here) or if you are using cake mix (here). - I chose to do cupcakes instead of using a cake pan, but you can use whatever you like.



After your cake/cupcakes are cooled toss it in the Kitchen Aid for a few minutes until it's crumbled (you can also do this by hand). 
Slowly add frosting until it is completely mixed and forms into a ball on your attachment (lol). If you're mixing by hand just make sure there is enough frosting for the ball to keep it's form, but not too much that your hands get caked in frosting. 
Now it's time to roll. I use about 1.5 tbs per ball. Again, if your hands are caked in the mixture you added too much frosting. Don't forget to add toothpicks if you're doing balls.
*If I were making cake pops I would chill the balls for about 10 minutes in the freezer, melt some chocolate, dip sticks in chocolate and then in balls*
Chill for a bit in the freezer. These guys were in there for about 50 minutes because that's how long it took me to clean up and attend to my munchkin. 

If you're like me and have 20 other things to do along with these babies, you will have to let the balls sit out for a bit and warm up. I get my candy melts ready for dipping. (Remember the key here it to get the candy just warm enough to melt and the balls should be chilled, but not frozen.) 

Are you ready? when I dip you dip we dip - After the coating is dry I pull out the toothpick and add a bit of chocolate to seal the entire ball so we don't get leakage (again tips here).

Time to decorate. These are for Autism Awareness so they're drizzled in red, yellow, green, and blue. 
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I don't think you should give away all your secrets...you could be famous someday for your cake pops... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh trust me, I didn't give away all my secrets ;)

      Delete
  2. Deanna you are doing GREAT!! I remember when we were talking about the mixer, I knew this was going to be your calling. It is also fun to do what you love to do BAKE!!Keep up the great work, don't give out too many secrets LOL..Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks! I love, love, LOVE it. I seriously use it at least once a day ;)love you!

      Delete